Thursday, January 13, 2011

Jan. 13 or Jan. 20?

Well, this blog is being published on January the two and zero, despite any attempt of mine to have it honestly slugged as Thursday the Thirteenth.

Lots going on here at North Franklin that has (or is it “have”?) distracted me from the daily output of my fingers-on-keyboard action. Fun things, non-fun things, interesting things. Did you know, and/or do you care, about the fact of “On the Good Ship Lollipop” being inspired by songwriter Richard Whiting’s daughter, the late Margaret Whiting (or, as they originally put it, lately of this world).

That’s an interesting thing. A non-fun thing was my computer catching a cold – actually a virus. It happened the day before a big storm and the geek squad couldn’t get to it before the planet froze in a blanket of ice and the school closed the next day. Four files were corrupted and, I might add, not by me. Can’t imagine how that happened, but happen it did. After it was fixed, I couldn’t get on the internet, so it took another day.

Then there are the [choose your bad word for incompetents] at the Social Security office in another state. Well, maybe not incompetents; possibly overworked and closing the office a little too early in the day (4:00pm – bankers’ hours). They need to talk to me about something, so I called. “Office closed; it’s snowing.” Called back; “We’re busy, leave a message.” Waited for callback two days. Called back; “Closed for MLK day.” Called back; “We closed at 4:00.” Called back; “We’re busy, leave a message.” I want to do something bad to them that’s not illegal or sinful. Any ideas?

2 Comments:

Anonymous RuthC said...

I bet there's a nice story behind the song, and Margaret Whiting's part in the inspiration of it.
I'd like to know it.

January 20, 2011 10:36 PM  
Blogger D.B. Echo said...

I've been going through a similar situation. Becoming unemployed right before Christmas is a bad idea. State holidays apparently include December 23, 24, 25, 29, 30, 31, and January 1, 17, and 18. Annoying for me; but then I remember that their incoming workload doesn't actually stop on those days, so each day off means that they'll just have to get that work done on another day.

January 20, 2011 10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home